Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Curbing my enthusiasm

I went to the video store tonight and someone had actually rented Gilmore Girls Season 4 before I could. I narrowed down the alternatives to two TV series: The Nanny and Curb Your Enthusiasm. Out of want to try something new I chose Curb Your Enthusiasm.

I found the show rather crass. I appreciate what Larry David is trying to do in portraying his life, but there are simply too many dirty jokes in it for my tastes. I find them “cheap shots” in terms of making the audience laugh. It only takes one show to realize that Larry David is appealing to a primarily male audience. Call me a pansy, but I tend to prefer shows with witty dialogue, local color, an intuitive sense of conflict, and a light-hearted sense of humor without having to refer to racial and social mores. If these shows tend to aim for a sophisticated, verbally-inclined female audience then so be it.

No comments: