Thursday, November 17, 2005

New Yorkers think they live in the center of the universe. Then you visit for the weekend and realize that they're right.

I went to New Jersey and New York this weekend to visit Mike and Kevin. Mike was big, blue-eyed and happy to see to me and it made my entire week to see him after what seemed like an eternity (five days). The next day the two of us went to visit Kevin in Manhattan, who was urbane, well-shaven, blunt, and insulting in the endearing sort of way. Then, we had dinner at a Thai restaurant where he and Mike pointed out nearly every little Asian nuance the restaurant could pull off to give the customer a unique "Asian" experience (including me for that matter). We wandered for a bit until Mike got bored and started pointing out tourists. I love New York. I miss its flashy window displays, its boutique shops, the traffic, the people, Washington Square, and that sense of speed and energy that must come from constantly being in the middle of things. I claim to have "New York blood" in my veins (as an extension of my Hudson-county upbringing), but I have my own reasons for living in Philadelphia (cost of living, parents, city taxes, school...). I know I’ll return to live there one day. I just don’t know when.


I'm feeling lucky


No comments: