Thursday, October 20, 2005

"I was in the German Club. There were only three of us, and then two of us left to join the French Club after seeing 'Schindler's List.'"

Thank god this day is over! Now I can sit back, read blogs, watch The Gilmore Girls and be a couch potato for the next several hours. Today was tough. I woke up at 5 am to go the library and finish my Statistics and Entrepreneurship homework, which I found particularly long because we have a Statistics exam Monday, and then I had to prepare for a CEO coming to Penn to talk to my Entrepreneurship class, this time for a medical devices company.

Entrepreneurship announcement:

Today’s guest speaker is Michael Cannon, co-founder and president of Ecton, Inc. Ecton was founded in 1996 with the goal of developing “technologies which allow cardiac ultrasound to become a screening and monitoring tool, instead of merely an expensive diagnostic laboratory method.” Ecton was acquired by Acuson Corporation in 1999, which in turn was acquired by Siemens Medical Engineering Group in 2000. Mr. Cannon led the Ecton team through both acquisitions.


That was interesting, don’t get me wrong, but seeing as how I had to wake up at 5 to prepare for two classes, I didn’t have much to go on afterwards. Then, I went to the lab to section some embryos. Dr. Tremblay is letting me work with her samples now. I don’t just section practice embryos from now on. Then I went to my statistics recitation to look at last year’s mid-term exam. I’ve been absolutely mortified about it for several days now, but looking at last year’s exam partially put my fears to rest. It is definitely manageable, and I think the probability of me doing well is rather high. Let’s see me calculate that Dr. Ewens! I’m absolutely burned out from the past three days. It was supposed to be our fall break, but I don’t think it really applied to graduate students. My pharmacology class still met Monday and Tuesday, and our new lecturer for arachidonic acid metabolites and anti-inflammatory drugs strikes me as a bit of an academic dominatrix (but don’t tell her I ever said that!). To top it off, my shares have been rather turbulent. All of these recent hurricanes have done a number to oil prices and the natural resources sector. I wonder how it will continue to affect the market, but so far, the financial services industries I’ve been tracking seem to be rather stable.

I’m just going to put all my worries aside for the moment and watch The Gilmore Girls. I was introduced to it several years ago, but I could never make the listed times to watch it. Now that I’ve found a place to rent the DVD’s, I actually can. TV has disappointed me for the most part, but The Gilmore Girls is a great show. It’s so much better than Dawson’s Creek, which my sister used to watch and which I absolutely hated. That entire show focused on the melodramatic relationships of moody teens trying to hook up with one another, and once each guy dated each girl in every possible combination you could imagine, they exhausted all of their possibilities and had to constantly showcase “new talent” to keep it going. The Gilmore Girls is different. It has substance, character, sincerity, comedy, and witty repartee! But what am I doing writing about it? I should be watching!


I'm feeling lucky:
http://books.google.com/books?id=Yo7omlFkg1cC&pg=PA5&lpg=PA5&dq=noel+darlucio+pura&source=bl&ots=9wbhihIjrc&sig=1NF47bvSDd1TsTzwoHx2VbxakuQ&hl=en&sa=X&ei=kpevUcr4Iam80gH9p4H4Ag&ved=0CDcQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=noel%20darlucio%20pura&f=false

No comments: