Sunday, October 23, 2005

Time and the hour run through the roughest day

--Willy Shakes

What a glorious weekend this was: dancing, partying, carousing Philadelphia, running in the rain, and leaving a club with a crowd of people I just met fifteen minutes ago. This must be what youth is: to embrace spontaneity and expect the unexpected, but the best part of it was also that Mike was there with me, letting me feel loved in a crowd of anonymous bodies and letting me know that I could always bail out if things didn’t go exactly according to plan. Mike came to visit me this Friday and left this morning, and today was a mess of hurrying, scuffling, and going over train schedules. Then, the library and what seems like endless amounts of work: capital venture problem set, term project, and mid-term exam Tuesday. Sometimes I feel like life goes so fast, I have to run just to catch up with it. I have meetings upon meetings to schedule, and doctors, professors, and study groups to visit. I’m glad that Mike takes the time to visit me knowing I can’t quite visit him. The trip takes at least three hours, it’s taxing and disheartening, but he doesn’t complain. He just calls every once in awhile and I get to listen to his warm, cuddly voice on the phone. Last time I was swamped with work and had to study for an exam, and what does he do? He comes over in the rain, stays in my apartment doing laundry and folding clothes, and waits for me to come back and have dinner three hours later. If people were selections of food, he’d be a layered sponge cake: warm, sweet, and filling! There just isn’t enough sugar in the world to make another boy like that. You know that saying about “breaking the mold”? Well, at the very real risk of sounding corny, I’d say it was a cupcake pan.

No comments: